Title: Beneath the Stars
Authors: sairalinde and anorienbean
Pairing: Faramir/Haldir
Rating: NC-17 for graphic m/m sex
Archiving: Saira's Library, Here With Me, Mirrormere, OEAM, others please ask first
Feedback: Yes, please. We live for it. Send to: sairalinde @ hornofgondor.com, or thechroniclesofosgiliath @ yahoo.com
Disclaimer: No money was made from this, and this in no way is meant to imply anything about the sexual preferences or practices of anyone mentioned within this story.
Summary: Haldir is captured and abused by the Haradrim. Faramir is captured as well, but afforded a little more care, because he has value in the Haradrim's eyes. Unspeakable tortures are bestowed on the Elf, yet Faramir saves him…in more ways than one, without even knowing it.
<b>WARNING:</b> This is basically a hurt/comfort/Love story, but it starts out as a *very* dark fic, containing violence, rape, and torture. If this bothers you, please don't read.


................................................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................................


Faramir struggled against his captors, knowing in his heart that it was a lost cause.

"This one should be fun to break...as fiery as his hair!"

"This one is not for breaking, Nasir," Altair said firmly. "This one…is the Steward of Gondor's youngest whelp. He is to be used for bargaining, if you use him for your games we will have nothing left to bargain with. Remember, he is a man, not an Elf."

Faramir spoke enough Haradrim to understand the conversation though his captors didn't know that. He was confused by what they were talking about however and thought maybe he didn't understand as much as he thought he did. //Games? And…why would it matter if I wasn't an Elf?// He decided to keep his knowledge of their language a secret, perhaps it would serve him later.

As he was guided along, he felt a strange feeling move over him. As if he knew this place, despite the hood that was covering his face. Moving from outside in the sunlight and into a dark, damp place he began to recognize where he might be. Even the scent of the air was oddly familiar to him.

After what seemed an eternity in darkness, he heard the jingle of keys and the squeak of a door opening and slamming back against a wall. The echo told him that his suspicions were right they were in a cave. One he thought perhaps he might know. Once the hood was pulled from over his head, Faramir's eyes took a moment to adjust to the darkness of the tiny cell he was in. He spun around to face his captors, but was immediately knocked backwards by strong arms.

"Welcome, son of Gondor!" they snickered as they shut the door to the cell, leaving him standing in the center of the tiny room.

Faramir smiled inwardly despite his situation. He did in fact know these caves...he knew exactly where he was...now all he had to do was figure out his captors weakness and make his get away. He was certain these men did not know the caves quite as well as he did. Turning to assess the changes to the small cell since he had last been there, he saw a form huddled in the corner.

Immediately his heart went out to the poor soul. By the look of his clothes, he had been there quite a while. Carefully, he moved toward the silent form and felt his heart nearly stop in his chest as frightened blue eyes rose to meet his own.

Those eyes seemed to reach into his very soul and stir *something* within him. For several long moments he was stunned motionless, his breath catching in his chest in a way he'd never felt before. After what seemed a long time, Faramir managed to pull his gaze away from the startling blue eyes and his eyes moved over the other prisioner. He gasped as he saw the pointed tip of an ear poking out from under slightly tangled, and matted pale blond hair.

Moving closer, he dropped to his knees slowly to not startle the Elf and smiled sadly, "Master Elf? I...I will not harm you...seems we are both in the same predicament. My name is Faramir," he said softly.

Haldir's eyes held the newcomer's for a moment, wishing with all his heart that his words were true. //'I will not harm you.' Gods…if only… If only one person here wouldn't hurt me…// Quickly, his eyes dropped and he steeled himself for whatever would come next. //It's a trick. He doesn't *look* like them, but he must be trying to trick me…to gain my trust so he can join in the fun of torturing an Elf.// Shivering, he tried to make himself smaller, to hide away from yet another man, who no doubt had some new terror to bestow on him. His breath caught in his throat, and he closed his eyes, waiting for strong hands to haul him to his feet and drag him back into one of the other rooms for yet another 'game'.

Faramir felt his heart drop as he watched the Elf draw even further into himself. //Gods, what have they been doing to you?// He felt anger well up inside him at their captors, but pushed the feeling down so as to not frighten the Elf further.

Very carefully, he shifted just the slightest bit closer and hoped that he would yet again open his eyes. //He had such lovely eyes.// Faramir shook his head at the odd thought and tried his best to remember Mithrandir's lessons. Maybe the Elf didn't understand Westron?

"Suilad, mani naa essa en lle?" (Hello, what is your name?) He asked struggling slightly and hoping he had gotten it right and not just insulted his new, hopefully, new friend. Continuing trying his best to remember words he had almost forgotten Faramir added, "Lle quena i'lambe tel' Annúnaid?" (Do you speak Westron?) "Please, speak it...I doubt my Elvish is very good...I'm not even sure if I'm not mixing the words up," he added smiling and hoping to get the blond to look at him.

Haldir's eyes opened in shock, but he kept his face buried in his arms for a moment. In all his months here, no one had ever tried communicating to him in his own language. //He is educated. Maybe he *is* different? Maybe he's not here to hurt me?// Swallowing his fear for the moment, he slowly lifted his eyes and looked into the startlingly blue ones before him.

"I….I am Haldir," he managed. "I…did they send you to…to do something else to me? I…I only got back in my cell a few hours ago…please just….just give me a little more time.'' //Gods…I'm begging! I'm actually begging this man not to hurt me! How will I ever face my Lord and Lady again? Or my brothers? Or….or anyone else?// Tears of shame filled his eyes. He'd fought as best he could against the Haradrim who took such pleasure in torturing him almost every day, but they'd learned exactly how to restrain him so that he could barely move, and he always ended up back in his cell, bleeding, sobbing, and very nearly broken. //Please…just….not yet. Give me a moment's peace.//

Faramir was shocked as the Elf, Haldir, began to speak. //Hurt him?// His brow furrowed as he watched Haldir's eyes fill with tears. "I'm not here to hurt you...I am a prisoner here, just like you. I got separated from my patrol and was captured this morning," he explained softly. "I am a Ranger from Gondor. Gods, Haldir...what have they been doing to you?" he asked, his heart clenching in his chest as he noticed dried blood on the Elf's lower lip. Faramir was suddenly filled with an overwhelming sense of protection for this Elf whom he hardly knew.

Haldir's shoulders slumped in relief at Faramir's words. //They took a Ranger prisioner? Gods…they'll hurt him as they've hurt me. And we'll both die here!// He breathed a little easier, letting himself believe the young man's words. He *looked* like a good man…unlike the Haradrim who'd held him prisioner for the Valar only knew how long. His eyes…the bluest he'd ever seen…they looked honest. And kind. And it had been so long since he'd seen any kindness. Running his tongue gingerly over his sore and swollen lips, he tried to straighten up, but the lashes across his back caused him to whimper in pain. He closed his eyes again and waited for it to pass. "They…they like to see how badly they can hurt me," he whispered softly, "…to see who could make me scream the loudest. It is their favorite 'game.'"

Faramir clenched his fists against his thighs and looked at Haldir sadly. "For what it is worth...I am sorry. Is...is there anything I can do to help? Anything at all?" he asked softly. He looked around the cell for something, *anything* and saw a torn and very dirty blanket on the floor, a cot, and a small bucket with what looked to be somewhat murky water.

He felt anger well inside him again at the Haradrim for their abominable treatment of their prisoners. Gondor didn't treat prisoners from Harad this way. There wasn't anything to really clean Haldir up with. He looked back at the Elf for a moment. "They beat you...and then don't treat your wounds?" he asked suspecting he already knew the answer.

Leaning against the wall, Haldir looked up at Faramir and shook his head, trying to ignore the pain that raced down his back at the gesture. "The only time they ever touch me is to beat me," he said, letting his eyes drift back down to his bloodied hands. "That's one of the things they love about torturing Elves. They don't *have* to take care of us. We heal rather quickly in most cases. I clean my wounds as best I can, but…they won't bring me supplies or fresh water unless I beg. And I will *not* beg for that. I do have one scrap of pride left…it is all I have, and I will keep it for as long as I am able."

Faramir frowned when Haldir described his treatment and nodded in understanding about his pride being all he had left. It was all any prisoner would have left. "Would...would you object to my asking on your behalf? They may not allow it...but I can at least try. They think the men of the west are weak anyway...they would take great pride in my begging so soon after my capture. It does not matter to me. At least not yet...I've only been here a few hours. How...how long have they kept you here like this?" he asked softly. He hoped that Haldir would agree to let him at least try and ask the guard. He hated to see anyone suffering, and he could tell from the set of Haldir's shoulders that he was in a great deal of pain and making an enormous effort not to let it show.

The mere fact that this handsome young Ranger would do that for him outweighed his delight at the mere thought of fresh water. //Gods…they will have a hard time breaking this one. I don't think I can bear to see them trying.// His eyes rose to meet Faramir's once again and he studied his face for a moment. "I lost count after the first few months," Haldir whispered. "The days run together, but I think I have been here at least 4 months…maybe longer." His gaze drifted over to the bucket of filthy water and he couldn't keep the longing from his expression. "I…I would not ask you to beg on my behalf," he said sadly. "I will not die from these wounds. You…you shouldn't worry yourself with me. But, I thank you for the thought. It is the most kindness I've been shown in a long, long time."

When Haldir told him how long he had been there Faramir shook his head. Four months of beatings is a very long time for anyone to survive...even an Elf. He could tell that Haldir was still battling with his pride by his response.

"Well...I don't know about you, but they have to give us something to drink...and quite frankly if they want a mere man to survive, they can't expect me to drink that." he grinned slightly as he tipped his head toward the bucket that had drawn Haldir's eyes. "So...if I can procure some drinking water from them...I'm sure I might be able to save enough to clean your wounds. If I can't get clean rags from them, my under tunic is clean," he smiled warmly at Haldir, and without waiting for an answer walked to the door of the cell and banged on it a few times before a guard appeared. Faramir spoke to him for a few minutes, pleading with him and the guard left. He stayed by the cell door waiting and hoping what he had told him had worked.

Haldir slid back in the shadows as far as he could when he heard the guard approaching, but he heard every word of their exchange. //Why is he doing this? Why is he wasting his time on me?// He breathed easier as the guard finally walked away, even though it was the one guard, Altair, who'd at least *tried* to save him from the worst of the games.

Altair had been the one to remind the soldiers that if they raped Haldir, he would fade, and they would no longer have anyone to play their games with. He'd apparently felt sorry enough for Haldir to slip him an extra crust of bread now and then, and he was the one who had brought the dirty blanket to the cell as Haldir had lain shivering and in pain one cold night a few weeks ago. Altair was the captain of the unit that had captured Haldir, and while he seemed to have a little compassion, he could not afford to let it show in front of his men. His lashes were the lightest, and sometimes Haldir could swear he saw shame in the captain's brown eyes just before his own eyes closed in pain.

Keeping his eyes on Faramir, Haldir bowed his head in thanks. His dry, cracked lips were craving the water more than he'd ever craved anything in his long life, and his body was already aching to be clean, to have the blood washed away, if for only the rest of the day.

After several long moments the guard returned and warned Faramir to stand well back from the doorway. 'Do I look like an idiot?' He thought mildly amused and stepped back, holding his arms out to his sides to keep from getting himself run through for simply *looking* like he might fight.

The guard entered and set two buckets of fresh water on the floor of the cell and collected the bucket of murky water, making a face himself as the smell of the acrid substance assaulted him. Faramir simply looked at him, and then the guard laid a large cloth over one of the buckets.

Once the guard left, locking the cell door behind him, Faramir finally moved forward to look at the items. The cloth had a slight bulge in it and he opened it to find a small jar of salve. He frowned, wondering why after all this time they would give salve for Haldir to be treated...but no one had been here before apparently to do it. The Haradrim didn't seem to want to touch the Elf other than to beat him.

Gathering the cloth and salve and picking up the bucket, he moved over to Haldir in the corner. "Got more out of him than I thought I would," he mused. "We can probably use this cloth as a blanket, it's almost thick enough, if you don't mind me treating your wounds with pieces of my undertunic?" Faramir asked, settling on his haunches beside Haldir again.

Haldir couldn't help but cringe when Faramir approached, but the young Ranger hadn't harmed him yet…maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't. He was stunned that he *wanted* to treat his wounds…but then again, who'd want to share a cell with someone so filthy and covered in blood?

He looked down to see the salve in Faramir's hands and he wondered if it would possibly bring him a few moments free from the pain. It'd been so long since he hadn't hurt, he could scarcely remember how it felt. //Thank you Altair. I still hate you, but at least my suffering doesn't bring you the joy it brings your men.//

"You don't have to dirty yourself or your clothes," he said softly. "I'll try to stay out of your way." He had no doubt the young ranger had seen wounds on the battlefield, but he didn't wish to expose him to even more violence. Seldom did a day go by that they hadn't beaten him with whips or belts or canes, and they'd even managed to capture a few wargs. They'd had great fun in watching the beasts attack their prisioner, and Haldir bore not only the scars from the beatings, but had several vicious bites all over his body as well. //He will probably want another cell when he sees the wounds…and who could blame him?//

Faramir sighed and shook his head. "You know, Haldir, it's one thing to be proud...it's another to just be downright stubborn. I'm offering you my help, and my friendship if you will take them. I know you have been here a while...and have no reason to trust me, but I'd like to help you if you will let me. I can't stand to see anyone in pain, so please, if you won't do it for yourself...do it for me?" Faramir said hoping he had said the right thing.

He wanted to help Haldir, he would want to help anyone in a similar situation but found for some reason, he truly did not wish to see the Elf in pain. If he could take his pain away and bear it himself, he would, and the thought almost frightened him. There was just something...something in those sad blue eyes when they had looked at him, as if they had looked into his very soul. He wanted to help him, and if he could protect him from further beatings, Faramir would like to try. Maybe now that he was here...maybe they would not take all of their aggression out on Haldir?

A small smile touched Haldir's lips. Faramir's eyes were shining, and the Elf's breath caught in his throat as he gazed at his new friend. //Gods, he's beautiful. I've never seen such light, such kindness, in all my life.// "I…I would appreciate your help, Faramir," he nodded. "I apologize for my manners. I think I have forgotten how to be nice somewhere along the way." He gingerly stretched out his legs, trying to gather his strength to stand. "Just…give me a moment. I am still a bit weak."

Faramir wasn't sure if he should offer to help Haldir to stand or not. He didn't want to make Haldir feel worse just by trying to be helpful. He watched pain flicker in his new friend's eyes and sighed softly. "Just take your time," he whispered. "If...if you like you can use my shoulder to lever yourself up...it may take a bit of strain off your injuries." He thought that might be the safest route, allow Haldir to make the decision for himself and not just pull him up like Faramir wanted to. He would need to think about a plan on how they could get out of the caves. It would take time to figure out the guard's routine's but after seeing what they were doing to Haldir, he was sure time wasn't something either of them had much of. If they started playing their 'games' with Faramir he might not be strong enough to escape.

Looking at Haldir once more he felt his heart clench in his chest and knew without a doubt he *had* to get Haldir out of there. He knew Elves were more resilient than men but...four months of this? He had already decided, when he escaped, he would take his cellmate with him.

Gritting his teeth against the pain, Haldir nodded gratefully at Faramir's offer of assistance. Somewhere in the back of his mind, he knew Faramir wouldn't laugh at him, wouldn't think him weak for asking for or accepting help. //No one with eyes like that could be cruel. How could I have thought so in the first place?//

Placing one hand on the Ranger's shoulder, he took a deep breath and tried to get his legs to cooperate. His fingers automatically tightened on Faramir's shoulder as he slowly pushed himself up. The pain was almost unbearable as the wounds on his back reopened, and he felt fresh blood soak into his tunic. His forehead broke out in a thin sheen of perspiration and his face grew paler by the second. As soon as his legs were underneath him, he concentrated on not collapsing back to the ground and held on to Faramir's shoulder for long moments. "I'm…sorry, Faramir," he breathed. "I…I just got back in here a few hours before you came. I didn't realize the simple act of standing would hurt so much."

Faramir watched sadly as Haldir struggled to pull himself up. He could see how much pain he was in and was almost angry with himself for even asking him to move.

He felt the Elf's hand tighten on his shoulder and shook his head as he spoke. "There is nothing for you to be sorry for. Nothing at all, Haldir," he said softly. Reaching up, he placed his hand over Haldir's on his shoulder for a moment and then slowly rose keeping the contact, not wanting to let go in case Haldir wasn't able to stay on his feet. He faced Haldir for a moment and spoke softly. "I hope...that we can alleviate some of your pain," he whispered. He waited patiently as Haldir tried to steel himself for the pain of cleaning the wounds.

The contact of Faramir's hand over his own almost brought Haldir to tears. It was the gentlest touch he'd had in months, and he swallowed back the lump in his throat. //He's only being kind…If I don't disgust him now, I certainly will when he sees my wounds. I can only imagine how hideous they are.// When the stinging in his back and legs had become more bearable, he nodded toward the cot on the other side of the small cell. "I suppose that's the best place?" he asked hoarsely. "I don't think I can stand much longer. Maybe later…after I've rested, but not now."

"It's alright, Haldir. Here...let me help?" Faramir said trying to consider how to help Haldir without hurting him worse. "Just...since I don't know where all your injuries are, how about you slide your arm around me and hang on and I'll help you get over there. Just take your time...obviously, I'm not going anywhere," he tried to tease to take Haldir's mind off the pain for a moment.

He waited for Haldir to make the first moves, not wanting to push him too quickly. Faramir could tell from his short intakes of breath and the way he was holding himself so stiffly, that he was in far more pain than he was willing to admit to. He knew that all too well. All warriors hid their pain; it was the only way to survive sometimes. Never show weakness; never show anything that could be an advantage to the enemy. Be they Elves or men, all warriors are taught those things but now neither of them were warriors anymore, they were prisoners.

Haldir smiled once again at Faramir's words, despite the pain it caused where his lip had been cleanly split. The young Ranger was like a ray of sunshine in the small room that had become Haldir's world in the past months, and he began to wonder if he wasn't hallucinating.

His arm slid from Faramir's shoulder to rest around his waist. He took the first step gingerly, and clung to his new friend when the pain raced up from his legs. The guards had been particularly vicious that morning, and he'd ended up with welts and deep lacerations from his shoulders down to his waist…then they'd turned him over and proceeded to whip his chest.

Just as they were working their way further down, Altair called them away for their morning patrols, and two of the larger guards had thrown him roughly back into his cell. "Just like a nice, *slow* stroll in the gardens," he breathed, trying to erase the look of concern on Faramir's face. "Nice and….*SLOW*, right, mellonamin?"

Faramir tried to smile encouragingly at Haldir, despite his heart feeling as if it were twisting in his chest. //I am so sorry. I wish I could make them stop doing this. I'll get you out of here. I'll get us both out.// He nodded as Haldir spoke, "That's right, nice and slow," he whispered. Trying to think of something to help distract Haldir from his pain, he decided to ask a few questions as they made the short, painful trek toward the cot. "A stroll in the gardens...so where are you from? Mirkwood or Lorien? I couldn't imagine you being from Imladris that's so far away," he asked hoping his questions would distract Haldir from at least some of the pain he was feeling.

"Lorien," Haldir managed past gritting teeth. "I am…rather, I *was* a Marchwarden of the Golden Wood. I only hope my Lord and Lady and my family think me dead, for I know I can not face them again." His last words trailed off, as if he were speaking more to himself than to Faramir. He kept one hand on the wall to steady himself, but Faramir was taking the majority of his weight, as he was holding the Ranger as close as he could, unconsciously craving the warmth and the gentle touch he offered so freely.

"Cannot face them again? Haldir...none of *this* is your fault. Of course you can face them, you've done nothing to be ashamed of I'm sure. You've endured their 'games' for four months, I am sure that your family and your Lord and Lady will always be proud of you, no matter what. And your family, I'm sure, loves you very much. I have a brother...I'm certain that once he finds out I didn't return from my patrol that he will be beside himself. Please...don't let our captors win. Don't let them take away the joy of one day being reunited with those who care about you," Faramir said softly as they reached the edge of the cot. He stood patiently waiting for Haldir to rest a bit before moving onto the cot.

Haldir looked at Faramir in surprise. //Could he possibly be right? Will they still welcome me, even after I've begged these men for my freedom, begged them for a moment free of pain?// "But I've…I've let them hear me scream…and beg for mercy. Not exactly the kind of marchwarden, or brother, they will welcome back." Before Faramir could answer, he looked back down at his feet. "Maybe you are right, my friend…to lose that hope of seeing them again *would* be to let them win. Maybe they will forgive me for my weakness."

Before Faramir could respond, Haldir realized they'd reached the cot. He turned back to his friend and looked at him questioningly. "You don't have to do this….Treat my wounds, I mean. They …they aren't exactly pleasant…and have not truly been cleaned in weeks."

Faramir stared at Haldir for a moment and his arms ached to wrap around his new friend and simply hold him and tell him that everything would be all right, but he didn't know that. He didn't know if tomorrow he would be the one to face their games. "Haldir...would you think less of me if they pulled me into the hall tonight and beat me like they have you, and I screamed and begged for mercy? I don't think you would, and I don't think that your family and friends would either," he said softly and nodded. "And...I know I don't *have* to treat your wounds, I want to. I want to help if I can. I'm a soldier; I've seen a lot of things that weren't pleasant. Please? I can't stand seeing anyone in pain like this, allow me to at least try and give you some respite?" Faramir had never thought that he would feel grateful for being captured, but from what he had seen today he knew if he had not been taken prisioner then Haldir likely would not have survived much longer. True, he hardly knew the Elf but for some reason the very notion of *this* Elf dieing broke his heart.

Haldir shook his head as Faramir spoke. "No," he whispered as he sat down cautiously on the edge of the cot. "I would certainly not think less of you, I promise you that." //But I pray to the Valar that they never touch you. I would much rather be their plaything, than see them do to you what they have done to me. Your kindness has already helped me more than you could possibly know, and I will do anything I can to keep them from harming you.//

Only moments ago, Haldir thought, he would have given anything to have one day pass without a beating…but he could not bear the thoughts of the guards turning their attention to Faramir in his stead. He was too beautiful, too noble and caring to be broken as Haldir had been. Haldir would survive…he wasn't sure if a mortal man could…and he wasn't willing to take that chance with Faramir. //Gods, I wish you hadn't been captured; Faramir, yet at the same time, I am grateful beyond words to have you next to me. It's selfish, I know….I only hope you can escape before they lay their filthy hands on you, but just having you here for a few hours has made me feel better..// Shaking his head, Haldir forced himself out of his reverie and tried to smile at Faramir. "I would appreciate your treating my wounds," he said softly as he began to unlace his tunic. "Thank you again for offering."

"No need for thanks. I'm sure you'd do the same if our roles were reversed," Faramir said softly. As Haldir began to remove his tunic, he noticed how difficult it was for him to raise his arms, probably pulling the abused skin of his back tight and causing even more pain. "Here. I'll do this part, save your energy for when I start cleaning the wounds...if it's as bad as I think it is, you'll need your strength," he whispered.

He felt slightly awkward working at removing Haldir's garment, but it would be better if he helped. After a few moments he had it opened enough to pull over Haldir's head. Leaning forward, Faramir took hold of the back of his tunic and rolled it up slowly and carefully, not wishing to drag it over Haldir's back. He then pulled it forward over his head and pulled it down his arms to keep from hurting him worse or forcing him to lift his arms in the air. "There we go," he whispered softly. "My brother, Boromir, taught me to do that when I was young and had fallen out of a tree into a large patch of poison ivy." He tried not to react to the myriad of marks on Haldir's skin. Deep cuts, bruises, scrapes, the imprint of a boot heel on his chest...and ...bite marks? "What...what bit you?" he asked in confusion and drawing back to look into Haldir's eyes. He'd expected the marks from whips, and beatings but...not that.

Haldir knew he should, by all rights, feel terribly self-conscious in front of Faramir, yet he either simply didn't have the strength, or knew, deep down, that the young Ranger would not judge him. He looked wearily down at the bite marks on his stomach and thigh and winced at the memory. "The guards grew bored a few days ago and locked me in another cell…with a warg. It was a fight to the death, and I had only one weapon…a small dagger. I had grand ideas of killing each of them with that dagger," he mused, "but by the time I killed the warg and they opened the cell door, I could do nothing but lie there and watch as they took the dagger away and threw me back in here. That was the third warg I had to fight. They seem to be getting…larger. Or maybe I am getting weaker."

Faramir was stunned for a moment and crouched down in front of Haldir so he could look into his downcast eyes. "The third one? Gods, Haldir. I...I have no words to express my anger at them, nor my disgust. I'm sure you in Lorien don't treat your prisoners like this and we don't in Gondor. I...I cannot understand how anyone could draw pleasure from someone else's pain like that. I...I am sorry," he said softly.

Standing back up, Faramir pulled his over tunic off and laid it aside, and then tore a section off his undertunic. The material was quite soft, much softer than the material they'd been brought. He walked over and picked up the bucket and salve and knelt before Haldir again. "This will probably sting," he whispered.

Haldir nodded and took a deep breath. "Go ahead, mellonamin (my friend)," he said. His eyes traveled slowly over Faramir's face, and he forgot his pain for a moment as he noticed the soft laugh lines around the young man's mouth and the way his eyes crinkled in the corners…as if he laughed often and without reservation.

The Silvan Elf had never been attracted to anyone of the race of men in all his long years, and, with the exception of Estel, he had almost determined that he hated them all, especially since he had been captured. But Faramir…Faramir was different. //If only I were free, and unscarred, I think I would like to know this gentle man as more than a friend….if he would be amenable to that. But I will probably die here…and I am no doubt enough to disgust anyone in my current state.// Quickly pushing his thoughts away, Haldir's eyes widened and he forced a smile to his lips. "I…I am sorry. Please…continue. I was simply…lost in thought for a moment."

Faramir had paused for only a moment, as Haldir seemed to be thinking about something and smiled gently. "I'll try my best not to cause you more pain than necessary," he whispered. Swallowing back his anger at the men, no, monsters, who had done this to Haldir, he began to slowly and as carefully as possible clean the wounds on Haldir's chest, and sides and even as low as his stomach. As he took note how low the wounds traveled he bit his lip. //How could they do this? Gods, making him fight a warg, not once but *three* times? What sick purpose does it serve?//

He listened carefully for any sharp intakes of breath, and each time paused to allow Haldir a moment before continuing on. The process was slow, and he knew painful but some of the wounds were quite deep and needed to be cleaned. Once he had finished with the majority of them, he reached for the small jar of salve and hoped it would be enough to treat all of his wounds. He decided to start with the worst first, and then if there was enough, he would treat the lesser wounds.

Haldir gritted his teeth as his wounds were cleaned, and tried his best to hide how much pain he was in. He was grateful beyond words when Faramir seemed to sense the worst of the pain and paused, giving Haldir time to gather himself and prepare for the next wound to be addressed.

The wounds from earlier that morning were especially sensitive, and even though Faramir was being incredibly gentle, Haldir soon had a thin sheen of perspiration covering his face and his fingers were clenched firmly around the metal sides of the cot. As gentle fingers begin to apply the salve, his pain lessened, and he gave Faramir a weak smile. "I'm feeling better already," he said softly. "Thank you again for getting this…and for helping me."

"I'm glad to be of help, I'm sure you'd have done the same for me or anyone else," Faramir whispered. He tried his best to be as gentle as possible but he could tell that Haldir was in a lot of pain. "I'll be done soon," he said softly. Once he was finished with the task of putting salve over the wounds on Haldir's chest and stomach, he tore more pieces from his undertunic and placed them over the worst of the wounds. Some of which had started bleeding again while he cleaned them. Setting back on his heels, he looked up at Haldir. "Your back as well?" he asked softly.

"Aye," Haldir said as his face colored with shame. He was a warrior, yet he now bore countless scars that would probably never fully heal. //What must this Ranger think of me? I just pray to the Valar that he might escape before he hears me screaming. I don't think I shall be able to meet his eyes if he hears *that*.//

With a resigned sigh, Haldir gingerly turned and lay on his stomach on the cot, turning his face to the wall so as not to see the disgust in Faramir's eyes. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, wishing again that he had had the opportunity to meet this gentle man under different circumstances. There was a wound on his leg from his last encounter with the warg, but he decided not to mention that one, and he doubted it was visible. His breeches had been torn, and he'd bound the wound as soon as he'd returned to his cell. Besides, he reasoned, this poor Ranger had seen blood and ragged skin…a filthy, bleeding Elf was not something a man would run across every day, and doubtless he had seen more than enough already.

Faramir bit his lower lip to suppress the gasp he almost emitted when he saw Haldir's back. //If I could cut out their black hearts, each and every one of them, I would.// Instead of voicing those thoughts, he took a deep breath and took the rag, wetting it and then moving back to start working on the many of wounds and deep cuts across the Elf's back. He paused before touching him, "This may sting, brace yourself, mellonamin," he whispered softly. He did not wish to inflict more pain on Haldir but there was little choice, some of the wounds were infected.

Haldir bit bottom lip to try and stifle the moans he knew would inevitably escape when the worst of his wounds were treated. He wound his fingers around the edge of the cot again and nodded. "I am ready," he whispered softly, still facing the wall. "I don't think you could possibly hurt me as much as they have, so you don't have to be careful. I know you probably wish to get this over with…or that you had never offered to do this, and I am so sorry you are having to…to dirty yourself. Please…fell free to stop anytime you like. I would understand if you have had enough already, Faramir, and would not blame you in the least if you need to distance yourself a bit."

Faramir's hands stilled and he sighed heavily before he spoke. "Haldir, I do wish to get it over with but only so I don't hurt you anymore than you already have been. I am not dirtying myself, nor am I disgusted with YOU in any way, I am disgusted with what has been done to you. This...what you have endured…," he paused at a loss and began again, "I held my tongue earlier when I first saw your back, but if I were able I would kill each and every one of your tormentors. I would cut out their black hearts for what they have done to you. You did not deserve this. I may not know you well but I am a good judge of character. I do not wish to distance myself from you at all, and if they came here tonight to take you I would offer myself in your stead. You cannot take much more of this until you have time to heal, mellonamin," Faramir spoke softly but firmly. He knew Haldir's words were colored by the pain and despair he was feeling after spending months being tortured, but it broke Faramir's heart nonetheless to hear the Elf speak that way. It was not his fault.

Haldir's eyes opened and he stared at the wall in shock for a moment before turning to face Faramir. //He is not disgusted? He does not think I'm weak?// As Faramir's final words sunk in, Haldir ignored his pain long enough to turn on his side and clutched at his friend's hand with every bit of strength he had. "I will *not* let you go in my stead, Faramir," he ground out, shaking his head. "I could not stand to see you hurt as well…please, please do not even say that. I beg of you not to even *think* that. I will survive…I swear I will. But it would break my heart to see these marks on you." His face colored once again, but he spoke nothing but the truth. He barely knew this Ranger, but he was so fair, so gentle and kind, that Haldir knew without a doubt it would tear him to pieces to see him marked as he himself was, especially if it was done to protect him. "Please, Faramir, I beg of you…I will do anything. Just do not offer yourself up for me…Please, just….*please*, my friend, do not offer yourself to them."

Faramir was shocked when Haldir rolled over and took his hand. He closed his eyes for a moment as the Elf spoke, shaking his head. He wished to argue but Haldir's pleas touched his heart and he felt tears gather in his eyes as he opened them again to behold the earnest look on Haldir's face. "You…all right…but I swear to you, Haldir…I swear that I will get you out of here. I promise you, *we * will escape," he whispered. Leaning closer to Haldir to make sure his words were not overheard, he continued. "I know these caves, Haldir. I have been here before, not as a prisoner of course…but I know them well. As soon as I am able to form a plan and determine the best possible time, I will get you out of here, get both of us out. Do you trust me?" he asked.

Haldir felt relief at Faramir's words, as well as a thin ray of hope that they might actually escape. He stared intently into the Ranger's blue eyes, not even realizing he was still holding on to his hand for dear life. Without even searching his heart, the words fell from Haldir's lips before he realized it. "I do trust you," he said softly. "I believe that if anyone can get us out of here, it is you." His pains forgotten for the moment, Haldir simply stared into the blue eyes before him, realizing that Faramir must feel as though the Elf was ready to climb in his lap and curl up against him, which, Haldir had to admit, didn't seem to be such a terribly bad idea. Swallowing the lump in his throat, he looked down and suddenly realized that his sudden movement had reopened some of the wounds on his back as they began to bleed and sting anew. "I…I do trust you," he repeated as he released Faramir's hand and stared at the floor.

Faramir felt his heart almost stop in his chest as Haldir stared into his eyes so intently and he took a deep breath when Haldir said that he trusted him. He hadn't realized that he had been holding his breath as the Elf stared into his eyes. "Good," he spoke finally. "I promise I will not fail you as long as there is breath in my body, I will not fail you my friend."

After a moment, Haldir settled back onto the cot and Faramir continued treating his wounds, attending to the ones that had begun to bleed when Haldir had moved and cleaning those he had yet to treat. After many long moments, he finally began to apply the salve, and covered the worst of the wounds with bandages from his undertunic. "There we go, hopefully the salve will make you feel much better. There isn't much left," he said as he leaned over Haldir and wiped at a small gash over his eye. Cleaning it carefully as well, he dabbed a bit of the salve on it. It wasn't a very bad injury but he knew it was probably painful. "You'll wish to sleep now I'm sure," he said standing up and pulling back on his tunic. "I will sleep on the floor. You take the clean cloth they gave us as a blanket, I don't want you getting the wounds dirty from that other blanket," he said frowning at the pitiful excuse of a blanket.

Haldir couldn't help the small smile that touched his lips as Faramir so tenderly tended the wound above his eye. The cuts on his back were feeling much better, and he hated the thoughts that there wouldn't be enough salve for the next day…after his next beating. At least maybe the soothing ointment would speed the healing a bit…although he was an Elf, he did often need more than one day to heal…though he rarely got that anymore.

As Faramir gestured toward the blanket, Haldir sat up carefully and shook his head. "You take the cot," he said. "I…I rarely sleep anymore. They…they like to sneak up on me when I'm asleep and…" He paused for a moment trying not to remember all the times they'd awoken him with a hard kick between the legs, or as they grabbed a handful of his hair and drug him toward the cell door. Or the time he awoke as he was being hoisted in the air by ropes tied to the top of the cell, arms and legs outspread so they could beat him without having to go through the trouble of transferring him to another cell. "They…do things when I sleep. So I just sit in the corner and doze. I'm quite used to it by now. You, on the other hand…I know men need more sleep than Elves. You should curl up underneath this blanket and rest while you can, and I will stay close and wake you if they try to sneak in."

Faramir gritted his teeth and shook his head. "In...your sleep? I...no. You take the cot; you rest, and allow me to guard your sleep. You are injured not me. I may be a human but I am also a Ranger and I have spent many a night on watch. Please...you won't heal sitting in that corner. You need rest...and I will be here this time to guard it. If you trust me, you will allow me to watch over you. If I become tired I will wake you to take my place. So you must keep the cot. I'll settle down right here beside it and watch the door," he bargained, hoping that Haldir would agree. Several of the wounds on his back were infected, and rest would most certainly help now that they were clean.

Haldir started to protest, but realized that in the shape he was in now, he could never escape with Faramir, even if he found a way out tonight. And it *had* been so long since he'd slept. //Maybe for a few hours…just a few, then I could watch over him while he rests. If I could only sleep for a while, I could heal, and not be such a burden to him.// With a resigned sigh, Haldir smiled at Faramir and nodded as he carefully pulled his tunic back over his head. "Aye. But I am only doing this so that I won't be a burden to you when we escape. And only if you swear to wake me should you become tired."

"I swear it, Haldir. And...you will be no burden...but please, you do need the rest. I can see it in your eyes," Faramir whispered. He covered Haldir with the clean sheet of material and almost felt silly as he realized he was tucking the Elf in. He blushed brightly. "Sorry...force of habit. My brother and I have guarded one another's sleep when we were younger after our mother passed...and...tucking each other in was well...nevermind, sorry." He felt his blush burning all the way to the tips of his ears and looked down at the floor for a moment before turning and settling in the floor beside Haldir's cot and staring at the door of their cell. "Sleep, my friend."

Haldir was shocked at the measure of comfort he felt as Faramir gently tucked him in. He smiled and realized his eyes were incredibly heavy already at the mere notion that he might possibly sleep undisturbed for a few hours, yet he found it difficult to look away from the copper colored, wavy hair and handsome profile of his new cell mate….and new friend. //His mother must have passed away when he was young. I wonder what his life was like? If his father or brother made up for the loneliness he must have suffered after his mother was gone?// Before he could dwell on his thoughts, his eyes closed for a moment, and he felt himself drifting off to sleep.

Moments later, a cell door down the hallway slammed closed, and Haldir jumped, cursing, and causing the entire cot to rattle in its frame. //You must relax…they are not here…Faramir is keeping watch…// He trusted Faramir not to leave, and not to fall asleep…but what if they took him? Haldir's hand slowly reached out and rested on Faramir's shoulder, wanting to keep him close, to make sure that they wouldn't take him away. Without a word, he simply gazed at the Ranger, hoping that he would allow this barest of contact as Haldir slept.

Faramir cursed under his breath as he realized Haldir was just falling asleep when a door slammed and startled him back from the fringe of sleep. As he felt a tentative hand rest on his shoulder, he smiled and reached across his chest to lay his hand over Haldir's. Their hands shifted at the same time and he felt his fingers slip between Haldir's. Closing his eyes for a moment, he tangled his fingers more fully with the Elf's. "Sleep, Haldir," he whispered, "I will guard your slumber, mellonamin."

Faramir could not believe the torture Haldir had endured these last months, and he couldn't help feeling protective of him. He reasoned with himself that he would feel that way for anyone in the same situation but he knew he was lying to himself. Even beneath the grime, and the bruises, he could see how beautiful the Elf was. He was inexplicably drawn to him, from the first moment Haldir's startling blue eyes had met his own, Faramir had felt drawn to him. He did not know why he felt this way but he would do everything in his power to formulate an escape plan as quickly as he could. He did not care if he, himself escaped, his only care was to get Haldir away from his tormentors as soon as possible. He listened to Haldir's breathing even out and watched the door, his silent vigil lasting late into the night.

Hours later, Haldir began moaning softly in his sleep. His fingers tightened around Faramir's and he moved restlessly on the cot. It was still many hours before daybreak, and his tormenters were lazy…they never came for him until late morning, but he found himself caught in a half-sleep, half-awake state, one moment knowing that he should sleep while he was relatively safe, and the next, dreaming that they were taking him away again, to the room with the whips and blades, the belts and restraints. In this particular dream, however, not only had Haldir been captured, but his brothers as well. As he was being beaten, Orophin and Rumil were beside him, screaming in agony and begging for their tormenters to stop. "No," he whimpered, "no…please..."

Faramir shifted when he heard Haldir moan and turned to look at him, even as fingers tightened around his own. "Haldir?" he asked softly and then realized the Elf was most likely having a nightmare. He leaned closer and whispered to him quietly. "You are safe, mellonamin. Rest easy, Haldir. They aren't here," he whispered hoping his words would help. His hand ached from how tightly Haldir was gripping him but he would not pull away. Faramir suspected that he needed some sort of grounding touch and would not abandon him for such a small thing.

Haldir relaxed slightly under Faramir's touch, the softly whispered words soothing his soul for the moment, but as soon as the young Ranger stopped talking, Haldir was once again caught up in his nightmare. His eyes opened abruptly and he gasped, seeing someone so close to him, and he automatically pressed himself back against the wall, crying out as his freshly treated wounds ground into the rough stone. //Faramir…It's Faramir. He won't hurt me…he's not one of *them*.//

He released Faramir's hand, and not even letting the thoughts of how pathetic he would look in his new friend's eyes reach his mind, he pushed off the wall, and wrapped both arms around Faramir's neck. He buried his face in the Ranger's neck and tried to calm himself, but the dream had been so real…and he was so completely exhausted, it was a loosing battle. He could do nothing more than cling to Faramir, sobbing quietly as he reveled in the first touch he'd had in months from someone who didn't mean to cause him pain.

Faramir was startled as Haldir had come awake and pressed himself against the wall. His eyes widened for a moment as he saw pain lace across Haldir's face briefly before the Elf launched himself forward to wrap himself around Faramir. His arms automatically went around the shivering Elf, careful not to touch his injuries, Faramir held him gently. "It's a nightmare, Haldir. Just a nightmare," he whispered. "I've got you, you are safe //for now at least// relax, relax dear one," he crooned softly. He shifted his body up onto the cot and held Haldir close and rocked him slightly as he felt warm tears against his neck. He wasn't sure what to do, so he simply held him and whispered calming words softly to his shaken friend.

Haldir *knew* he should feel ashamed, *knew* he was making a fool out of himself, but Faramir's arms around him felt so safe, so soothing, so…right. He was a warrior, one of the best and strongest in the Golden Wood, a Marchwarden of the highest order, yet he was sobbing uncontrollably…and Faramir wasn't laughing at him, wasn't pushing him away, wasn't telling him to control himself and stop sounding like an Elfling. He relaxed into the embrace, but couldn't bring himself to unwrap his arms from around Faramir's neck. Instead, he curled up like a child in the Ranger's lap, feeling truly secure…a feeling he'd almost forgotten completely in the past weeks. Exhaustion fell over him like a thick blanket, yet still, he clung to Faramir. "Stay with me?" he asked between great, hiccupping breaths as his face stayed buried against the warm skin of Faramir's neck. "I…I mean…would you just…just….hold me for a while? I don't mean to be a bother. I didn't realize the nightmares would take hold of me if I slept, but…if you would stay here…they might stay away…" His voice trailed off, and he held his breath, realizing how pathetic he must seem, but knowing that he would not find sleep again if he were alone.

Faramir drew back slightly and looked into Haldir's eyes, smoothing golden hair away from his face. "Yes, as long as you need me, I will stay," he whispered. Shifting, he moved over Haldir's body without breaking contact with him and lay against the wall facing toward the door and toward Haldir. "This way I can see the door and still keep watch. I am not yet tired, so you go back to sleep. I will hold you and do my best to protect your dreams," he said smiling kindly.

Nodding gratefully, Haldir was too worn out to even realize that his own back was toward the door….something he'd never let happen after his first week in this cell. He felt safe in Faramir's arms. He *did* trust him, and he knew without the faintest doubt that Faramir would be the one to wake him, instead of his tormenters when the time came. His head rested on a firmly muscled arm, and Haldir released his hold on Faramir's neck only to slide one arm around his waist. "Thank you mellonamin," he whispered. His eyes were already closed again, and he snuggled closer, burying his face in Faramir's chest, and was in a peaceful and healing slumber moments later.

Faramir wrapped his arm around Haldir protectively as the other acted as a pillow for the weary blond head. "You are welcome, Haldir," he whispered. "Get some sleep." When Haldir snuggled closer Faramir smiled.

He really should not be enjoying this as much as he was, he was comforting a friend that was all, but each time Haldir moved closer Faramir felt *something* flicker within him. //He is your friend and you are protecting him. That is all. Nothing more and nothing less.//

He took a deep breath and released it slowly as his eyes settled on the door once more and he listened for footfalls in the passage outside their cell. He was determined to stay awake as long as possible to give Haldir plenty of time to sleep. Throughout the night, he would soothe his friend with soft words and gentle touches whenever Haldir would moan or shiver in his sleep. It was all Faramir could offer and he offered all of his warmth and compassion freely to Haldir. His anger with their captors grew with each shiver, and his mind went over plans for their eventual escape as he kept his watch.
~~~
TBC