Title: Following Your Heart 1/?
Authors: Anorien and Sairalinde
Type: RPS
Pairing: Craig/David
Rating: Explicit Sex
Beta: Ourselves
Warnings: None
Disclaimer: This never happened...this is total fiction.
Feedback: Yes please send to sairalinde @ hornofgondor.com or thechroniclesofosgiliath@ yahoo.com
Archiving: OEAM, our own sites, others please ask
Summary: David and Craig have a misunderstanding and David chases Craig from Los Angeles to New York to explain.

NOTE: Words in // are thoughts //

---------------------------------------------------------------

[Chapter 1] [Chapter 2] [Chapter 3] [Chapter 4]

The party was starting to wind down and David stole yet another glance at the man across the room. Craig. From the first moment he'd laid eyes on the gorgeous, dark haired, blue-eyed New Zealander, David had been hooked. He was terrified to tell him how he felt though. He knew there was no way his feelings were returned...and could you have feelings this strong for someone you'd only ever imagined kissing? Imagined the way their skin felt under your fingertips, and the way they tasted? Craig was perfect. He was warm, and funny, and kind…and completely out of reach, not to mention...taken. David sighed softly and set his empty glass on a nearby tray.

Sean smiled as he saw his friend stealing another glance at Craig across the room. "Just smile, walk across the room, say hello, and see what happens, Daisy," he whispered, resting his hand on David's shoulder. "He won't bite…unless you want 'im to, I'd wager."

He'd known since the first day David had walked on the set and saw Craig that *something* was going on. Even with Craig wearing his long, blonde wig, David's eyes had followed him across the set, then later, as Craig had stepped out of the make up trailer, minus the wig and pointy ears, David's smile had grown unmistakably wider. At the time, Sean didn't know David well enough to say anything, but now that they'd become close, he couldn't resist pushing him gently in Craig's direction. "Go on, then," he said in a low voice.

David shook his head, "I can't, besides he's with Marton," David said looking down. "I'll just have to settle for admiring from afar," he continued, smiling sadly. "Besides when am I ever going to see him again after tonight? I missed my chance even if he weren't already with someone."

Sean sighed and rolled his eyes. "David, Craig and Marton have known each other for years. They're close friends, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're together. You've had a thing for him since the day you got here - and you're just going to let him walk away tonight, never knowing what could have happened between the two of you? How do you know he's not crazy about you too?"

David looked over at his friend beside him. He didn't *want* to just walk away, but he just didn't think he could stand to lose Craig as a friend if he didn't feel the same way. It would change their friendship...and he didn't want to lose that on top of losing his chance with him.

"I don't know, Sean, I just don't want to screw up our friendship. It's probably meant to be this way, we don't always get what we want in life," David said softly. "I...I think I'm just going to go back to my hotel. Not really in a party sort of mood," he frowned slightly as he turned to face Sean. "I'll see you in London next month?" David asked.

Sean studied David's eyes for a moment before wrapping an arm around his shoulder and nodding. "Yes," he sighed. "I'll definitely see you in London. The seventeenth, I think. And I'll stop harassing you about Craig. I just hate to see you do this to yourself. I really do think the two of you would be perfect together." He raised his hand to ward off the words he knew were coming. "Ok, ok. I know. I'll back off. I just wish you'd talk to him, or let me talk to him for you." The two men headed toward the door even as Sean spoke, knowing they'd had this very conversation a dozen times, and knowing that David refused to let him interfere. "Have a safe trip back to the hotel," he grinned, patting David on the back. Moving aside just a bit, he arranged himself so that David could say goodbye to him and take one more look across the room at Craig.

David turned and looked over at Craig who was smiling and talking to Orlando, presumably about archery from the way they were both holding their arms out, either that or they were about to break into a song and dance number, neither of which he'd put past anyone from the cast, himself included. Looking back at Sean he hugged his on screen brother. "Take care of yourself," he whispered before pulling away and opening the door to go back to his hotel. This was best, no long goodbye's, just walk away. Though if it was best why'd it hurt so damn much?

Sean looked up just in time to see Craig 's gaze follow David out the door. Craig's eyes flickered for a moment, but his smile never faded and he continued to laugh and talk with Orlando, not even noticing that Sean had seen him. //Two of the most stubborn men I've ever seen in me life! They deserve each other! // He wasn't sure how Craig felt about David, but he had the sneaking suspicion that David's feelings were returned. *NOT* that he could do or say anything. David had extracted a firm promise that Sean would mind his own business, and Sean was as good as his word. With a sigh, he quickly searched the far corners of the room, smiling when he saw Viggo. At least *there* there were no secrets or hidden feelings. Smiling, he quickly made his way over to his lover and curled up on the couch beside him, watching the rest of the partygoers dance and laugh the night away.

Viggo slid his arm around Sean as soon as he sat down next to him. He continued listening to Dom's quite animated story and then glanced over at his lover. He'd seen Sean saying goodbye to David. He had watched all the times David's eyes had followed Craig around the room that night, and had seen the looks Craig had been giving David. He sighed softly, Sean had never told him that David was infatuated with Craig...anyone with eyes could see that, just the same as they could see how Craig felt as well. He wondered if they would *ever* figure it out on their own. Turning back to Dom he continued to listen to the young man's tale as he felt Sean's hand settle on his thigh.

***


Craig's heart jumped as he watched David walk out the door, and he swallowed the lump that suddenly came up in this throat, though he was careful not to let Orlando see any change in his expression. He smiled and nodded as Orli rambled on, oblivious to Craig's sudden change in mood. //I need to get out of here. He…he didn't even say goodbye. I guess that makes it perfectly clear how he feels about me. We'll most likely never see each other again, and I thought…maybe, just maybe…//

Marton walked up behind Craig and rested a hand on his back. He'd seen David hug Sean and head out the front door, holding his breath the entire time, hoping - no, *praying* - that he'd turn around and at least say goodbye to Craig.

"Go after him," Marton whispered in his friend's ear. He'd known for a long time how Craig felt about David, and he had tried everything short of locking the two in a broom closet together. That idea was starting to have more and more appeal by the passing moment. This may be the wrap party, but that didn't mean anything had to end. No one in the cast had any plans to just walk away from the friendships they had made here, and relationships he thought grinning as he looked over at Sean and Viggo curled up on the couch.

Craig looked over at Marton and sighed. Orlando had turned his attention to Billy and the two were trying to sing some inane drinking song. "I can't," he said softly as his gaze fell back to the door. "He…he didn't even say goodbye. I knew it was asking too much for him to return my feelings, but…I at least thought we were friendly enough that I'd get to wish him luck or…something. Guess…guess I wanted it too much. I probably scared him off. It's not like…" Craig's eyes filled with tears and he wiped them away furiously. "It's not like I'll ever see him again anyway. He's a big star, and we travel in completely different circles."

Marton didn't know if he wanted to thump Craig or hug him, seeing his friend's eyes fill with tears he pulled him close. "Maybe he couldn't say goodbye. I've seen the way he looks at you...everyone has, Craig. Only you don't see it. You *need* to tell him...it isn't too late," Marton whispered soothingly. He wished that he could do more, but this had to be something Craig did for himself, that didn't mean it didn't break his heart to see his friend so sad.

"I *don't* see it, Marton," Craig said sadly, wrapping his arm around his longtime friend and resting his head on Marton's shoulder. "Don't you think I've looked? That I've dreamed of seeing him smile at me and open his arms? It's not there. It never has been, and it never will be. He thinks of me as a friend, and nothing else." He pulled back to give Marton a small smile. "Marty, I…I know you're trying to help, but….I just need to get out of here. I'm going to go back to my room and see if I can't get an earlier flight back to the States. I've got a convention of some type in Los Angeles in 3 days, and I'm sure I can find a way to pass the time there. It'll be better than being here and dreaming about Dav….about him. It's time I moved on and accept that there will never be anything between us. Past time, in fact."

Marton sighed sadly. He *knew* David felt more for Craig than friendship, he just *knew* but there was no way to convince Craig. Only one man could do that and that was David. "You want me to walk with you, or do you want to be alone?" Marton asked softly.

"Thanks, mate," Craig smiled as he walked toward the back of the room where their coats were kept. "I need to be alone, I think. You stay and enjoy the party. I'll be fine. And I'll be in touch in a few days - keep your cell phone handy, yeah?" He slid into his soft leather jacket and gave Marton a final hug. "Thanks again. And….tell everyone I said good-bye, ok? I just can't seem to make myself smile right now."

Marton nodded. "Alright. I'll tell them, and call anytime, Craig. I hate seeing you like this...." he trailed off, "You get some rest, mate." Marton pulled Craig into another hug before releasing his friend. Watching Craig walk out he hoped that one day he and David would talk to each other before they let something wonderful slip through their fingers.

David looked around his room, his bags were already packed and sitting on the end of his bed. He had decided to leave right after the party he just hadn't expected to leave quite so soon so he still had some time before he needed to go to the airport. He regretted not saying goodbye to his friends, most of all Craig. He looked over to the small table in the corner and spied the hotel stationary. Leaning over the table he scribbled a quick note, and then ripped it up. After three attempts he finally settled on what he'd written though still not happy with it...it didn't say what he really wanted to say. Folding the paper he wrote Craig's name across it and then went down the hall to the other man's room and slipped it under the door. Returning to his room he called for a cab and went downstairs. Seemed you could never get to the airport too early these days with all the security now.

Half an hour after leaving the party, Craig's cab pulled in front of the hotel. He'd done nothing but stare out the window since they'd left the party, and the cab driver had finally stopped trying to make conversation. He'd never felt this lonely before. There had been relationships, and lots of friends, but never that special connection he'd longed for his entire life. In his fondest dreams, David was his soul mate, his other half, but sometimes dreams turned out to be made of nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

Slumping against the wall of the elevator, Craig counted his blessings that no one was in the car with him. //Time to go ahead and get used to being alone again, anyway.// When the doors opened, he reached in his pocket for his keycard and quickly walked down the hall. As he reached his door, he inserted the card, thankful for the deserted hall, and slipped in the room. Closing the door behind him, he saw a note on the floor and bent wearily to pick it up.

Craig,

I'm pretty horrible with goodbye's. Sorry I didn't catch you at the party but you seemed to be occupied and I didn't want to intrude.

I'm going to miss you. Call me sometime.

Yours,
David

Craig read and reread the note again and again. His first thought was to call the front desk and see if David had left yet. Placing his hand on the phone, he hesitated. //I'm going to miss you. Call me sometime. // Not, 'I wish I didn't have to say goodbye,' or 'I'm waiting in my room for you right now.' And the signature…..'Yours, David.' //Well….what the hell did that mean? Your……friend? Lover? Acquaintance? //

Taking his hand from the phone, Craig carefully folded the note up and placed it in the back of his wallet. At least it was *something* that David had left him. It was better than nothing. He sat on the edge of the bed, and sighed. "I've got to get out of here before I find myself beating on his door," he murmured to himself. Calling the front desk, he asked the concierge to see if there were any flights leaving that night to Los Angeles, and if so, to book whatever they had. By the time he'd finished packing, the front desk called back and told him a ticket would be waiting for him at the gate. At least *one* thing had worked out tonight.

Continue to Chapter 2