Title: Other Worlds
Author: Sairalinde
Type: RPS
Pairing: Viggo/Sean B.
Rating: Explicit Sex Eventually
Warning: A.U. It's got it all. Allusion to rape nothing descriptive, magic, sort of character death, slight touch of schmoop.
Beta: Glorfindel
Disclaimer: This never happened...if it did well let's just say I'd be really surprised! Viggo, and Sean are real people but they do not know me nor I them. Nora Roberts is one of my favorite authors and this story A World Apart, came to mind as one to slash up, no offense meant. Basically retelling the same tale, but my way. This was written in fun that's all. Not for profit.
Feedback: Yes please send to Sairalinde @ hornofgondor.com
Archiving: Yes but ask first please.
Notes: A.U. very loosely based on Bulgarian folk tales about dragons that can shape shift and more closely based on A World Apart. Basically I am slashing the story up with Viggo and Sean and dragons…what fun ;-)
Summary: A.U. Viggo is a NY city cop and Sean is a Lamiaslayer (Dragonslayer) from another place and time. * Told you it was A.U. * ;-)

-----------------------------------------------------------

[Chapter 1] [Chapter 2] [Chapter 3] [Chapter 4]
[Chapter 5] [Chapter 6] [Chapter 7] [Chapter 8]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1

The forest was damp and quiet, as the hunter moved silently through the underbrush. Sean was on the hunt. His steps fell silently. His eyes-green as the jade in the hilt of his sword-were ready to act, with ruthless accuracy.

For the last four days and nights he had tracked his prey, over mountains, hills, and valleys to this forest near the village of Dario. As he tracked his quarry he thought of little but the battle that lay ahead. The Lamia was his only interest, not the beauty of the forest that surrounded him, nor the enchanting sound of the nearby brook.

The hunt was what he had been born for. Sean was a Lamiaslayer. His duty as a Guardian of the Goddess of the White Palace was as a slayer. He was honor bound to protect the humans of his world. Sean himself a Zmey, was able to transform himself into something as simple as a flower garland to his preferred human form, or back to the form of his birth. He preferred his human form to that of Zmey however, sometimes he did miss his talons.

Soon he was brought out of his thoughts by a slight shift in the light to his left. His sword was brought to bear and he pivoted on his heels to face his quarry. The shimmering light started just at the edge of the clearing and there the Lamia appeared; then charged. Its yellow scaled body lunged toward him and it's sharp black claws streaked past his shoulder. Sean was not ruffled in the least. He simply settled into his stance and waited for the next assault.

This was a young Lamia and quite small. If Sean were in his Zmey form he could simply crush it with his front paw but a battle was so much more satisfying. Unfortunately this Lamia's tender age and size were not going to make this an exciting battle. Sean sniffed the air then grinned. This Lamia was not alone however. Why hadn't he noticed that before? Ah no matter he could take them both.

The second one appeared just to his right and the younger Lamia snarled and took that opportunity to charge. It would have been a smart move if Sean were truly human but a Zmeys reflexes were faster than that of a human.

The Lamia could never sense the Zmey in human form. It was one of his kind's greatest advantages. Rather than waste energy on the youth he decided to save the real battle for the larger Lamia. Sean began to chant softly and summoned a whirlwind that trapped the youth within it. He was then able to turn his attention to his new assailant.

"Zmey!" The larger Lamia cried.

"Yes, and a Slayer of Lamia. Guardian of the White Goddess…come to me. Let me send you to an honorable death, beast!" Sean answered.

The Lamia sneered at him. "It is you Slayer who will go to your death. You are outnumbered. We shall be slaying you and feasting on your bones by nightfall."

Sean sensed almost too late two more Lamia appearing beside the other. Still the odds were not against him yet. These were not particularly high ranking Lamia.

Sean simply laughed. "This day, you shall go hungry."

The battle began with the Lamia who had spoken charging him. He was not difficult to dispatch. Normally those of his ilk were all talk and no real fight. Sean was not wrong this time. The youth was still trapped in the whirlwind so he was of no concern but the other two were circling now that he had dispatched the first Lamia by running his great sword through his throat just below its dog like head.

The other two hissed their anger at the departure of their friend but were still circling…trying to judge their adversary. The larger of the two lunged and Sean side stepped quickly then turned and swung his sword easily cleaving the beasts head from his body. The last of them however was upon him before he could make any counter moves and Sean was thrown to the ground. Sharp pain issued from his shoulder where the beast had plunged its dark claws. Sean howled in pain but leapt back up quickly to continue the battle. It was a cheap move, but one he should have expected from a Lamia.

Then the Lamia turned, plunged its great clawed paw into the whirlwind and jerked the youth out from it's midst. Then before Sean could do anything they unfurled their wings and flew over the tree tops. Sean cursed and sheathed his sword then transformed into his Zmey form and took flight after the two. When he flew toward Dario he saw the village was under attack by a number of Lamia. He also saw many of his kind along with human slayers in the fray defending the village and it's people.

Why would so many attack this tiny farming village? He wondered as he followed the two attackers from the forest.

Then a sight he never thought he would see almost caused him to falter in his flight. Altinor the King of Lamias was in his human form standing in front of a great stone where the two from the forest landed and transformed beside him. Sean landed and transformed in a dead run heading for the stone. He would not let Altinor escape this time.

The great king simply snarled at Sean and then in a flash of blinding light he and all of the Lamias disappeared.

"What foul magic is this?" Sean asked the wind as he skidded to a halt in front of the great stone, his blood still singing for battle.

Other Zmey and slayers gathered around him. "What happened here?" One of the slayers asked in confusion. The same confusion they all felt.

"We must see the goddess." Sean said finally sheathing his sword. "She will know what is going on."

A few Zmey stayed behind to guard the village should further attacks take place but the rest of the slayers returned to the Palace of the White Goddess.

When the slayers entered the palace Sean realized he was of the highest rank among them so he strode in front straight to the goddesses chamber.

"My lady, your guardian knights seek your guidance." Sean announced with his head bowed.

"Yes slayer…but you are injured, should you not be tended first?" The goddess asked sweetly.

"I will heal, I must…WE must know what happened today at Dario." Sean said then.

"But were you not there? Did you not see for yourself what happened?" The goddess asked.

Sean frowned. He hated talking to the goddess sometimes. "Yes, but though my eyes saw what happened I still do not understand."

"Perfect. Come to me slayer…you are called Sean are you not?" She asked. "Let me heal you, Slayer."

"Yes my lady." Sean said stepping forward. The goddess touched his shoulder and immediately his wounds were healed.

"You wish to know where the Lamia went?" She asked.

"Yes." He answered hoping her ladyship was going to get to the point soon.

"They are no longer in our world…they have found another." The goddess answered. "Another world who does not know of the Lamia, or who has simply forgotten. They go there to feed more easily, and rebuild their numbers. They will return and take over our world and the other if we do not stop them."

Sean stood there for a moment trying to digest the possibility of another world, and the Lamia growing in numbers.

"We must go after them then." Sean answered.

"Yes, YOU must go after them, Sean." The goddess answered.

"Me…alone?" Sean asked shocked. There were other fine slayers here.

"Yes. This task is set for you, Sean. Do you accept?" She asked.

"What exactly am I accepting?" Sean asked warily.

"The chance to save not only our world but another and answer your destiny." The goddess answered smiling.

"But why me alone….all of the Lamia went with Altinor." Sean answered. "I accept my lady yes I am a great warrior but I am no match for their numbers."

"The Lamia did not all make it through the portal, of that I can assure you." The goddess answered smiling coyly.

"I see." Sean answered with a grin. The rest were probably awaiting execution in her dungeon.

"Only five actually made it through, but their numbers will grow in that other world because there are no slayers. They will thrive there if they are not tracked down and eliminated. They cannot be allowed to destroy the other world for if they do, our own will be destroyed. It is a delicate balance." The goddess said softly.

"Even against five, in an unknown world how am I to track them?" Sean asked.

"You will not be alone, in the other world you will have a guide, a warrior from the other world who will aid you. Trust in him, his name will be Viggo. He is what you need, without him your quest will fail. Though even with his aid there is great risk. Now come with me Sean, you must go now…time is of the essence." The goddess said motioning for Sean to follow her.

Sean followed the goddess into another room.

"There is much to know of this other world, Sean. Take my hand, I will grant you knowledge of this other world." The goddess said offering her hand. Sean took it and stood facing the great stone in the center of the room. Suddenly strange words and images flooded Sean's mind.

"Take this jewel, touch it to the jewel in your sword hilt and it will return you home. Now Sean, touch the hilt of your sword to the great stone." The goddess commanded.

Sean held out his sword and touched the jade jewel to the great shiny black stone.

"Go in peace, only with your strength, trust, valor, and love shall you defeat your enemies. I will make sure you arrive where you will find your guide. Our fate lies in your hands slayer…do not fail us." The goddess spoke softly then brushed a soft kiss across Sean's lips. The room began to spin and it seemed that he was being sucked into the great stone…then just as suddenly he felt himself being spat out again.

Go to Chapter 2